Friday, September 30, 2011

For the Bees

Further to inventions that imitate nature, here is one of a series of bumblebee-themed images I was asked to design some years ago. A "friendly bee" was asked for, one that was busy about a garden. It was a fun assignment and I eventually came up with several versions of BumbleBee, a family of them and their garden, including hollyhocks. I have been reviewing the images recently, going through the files, and this morning as I walked by the lake I came upon this:

an end-of-summer drowsy bee nestled in the hollyhocks that have naturalized along the unfinished harbour wall, among the small convolvulus and michaelmas daisies.


"And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease.. "
"To Autumn", John Keats

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely illustration! Our UK bees are having a lovely time too, as we have a late mini heat wave - thankfully my nasturtiums are keeping them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bumblebee in your photo seems to have found a great little bed and breakfast lakeside spot!

    I love your painting. The circling composition and colors work so well together. I can almost hear the buzzzzing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have a great talent to what you do. I'm so happy I could find you! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you for bee-ing a friend of bees!

    ReplyDelete